January 1: For a change of pace, I started work today on kitbashing my Regner Konrad. Photo set available here: “Regner Konrad Kitbash“.
January 2: Robin and I worked on the garden today, replanting a lot of the plants we had to remove to clean up the old garden. New photos in this set: “Rebuilding the Garden“.
January 16: I’ve been traveling a lot over the last couple of weekends so no progress on the Lost Hollow. We had the first big storm to hit our area in a while; it will be interesting to see if any earth moves around.
January 17: Received in the mail today, two Hartford Product log disconnect kits. Finally, we will have some rolling stock for the Lost Hollow. Also came across this most excellent article on MyLargeScale.com on figure building: I’m going to have try to build a few at some point.
February 2: Regner has a new locomotive out, one that looks a lot more North American: the Lumber Jack. Very cool. Haven’t been around much, so the layout has not progressed much.
February 4: Spent a couple of hours ballasting the track this afternoon. The improvement of the look of the railway is tremendous: no more white hardi-plank showing through everywhere. Need to buy some more flagstone before the ballasting is finished though.
February 5: Took the opportunity to run Engine No. 1 around the layout this morning to check on the quality of my ballasting. Had to adjust things in a few places but all in all everything was good. Finished the ballasting on all but the front section in the afternoon.
February 9: Despite having the two Hartford Product kits to work on this week, I spent the last couple of evenings building a scale figure. I’m pretty pleased with my first attempt.
February 10: I bit the bullet and disassembled Konrad today for repainting. I’m using Krylon semi-flat black to cover the orange and dark green on the outer surfaces. I also drilled and tapped holes for the new hex nuts to hold the rear coupler on. Now I just need to put it all back together properly!
February 11: Konrad is all back together. See the photo set available here: Regner Konrad Kitbash“.
February 21: Came across the Twin Mountain Model Works website yesterday. The small coach would be perfect for the Lost Hollow Railway.
March 11: Spring is coming to Houston so things are starting to grow rapidly in the garden. I’m clearly going to have to spend more time weeding over the next few months. I also ordered a coach kit from Twin Mountain Model Works. This now makes three kits I need to finish.
April 9: I got started on the Twin Mountains coach. The colour scheme will be Polly-S coach green with Polly-S beige highlights and Floquil maple stain everywhere else.
April 20: The coach is finished, which means I have finally have something to pull at the next steamup.
April 29: John Frank hosted the Spring 2006 Katy Steamup today. A photo set is available here.
May 20: Robin and I moved some more plants around and I reballasted a good portion of the line. This time I screened the decomposed granite ballast and used only 1/4″-minus material. I also harvested a good load of oregano, thyme and rosemary.
May 21: I started work today on the Hartford Products disconnects or “bobbers” as they are called on some logging outfits. Lots of drilling and distressing of the wood. I’ll use some old Floquil “Natural Pine” stain with a wash of Weather-It. Metal pieces will be darkened with Blacken-It.
May 27: I attended the Memorial Day Weekend Southwest Live Steamers/Houston Area Live Steamers meet at Zube Park in northwest Houston. Photo set available here.
June 10: I finally started back working on the disconnects today, after a few weekends off doing other things.
July 2: We’ve been traveling for a couple of weeks, and when we returned, we discovered the Lost Hollow has become seriously overgrown in several areas. A morning in the garden and things are back in order. I’m also trying to finish up work on the logging disconnects so that I can get back to other projects like some more figures and some buildings.
July 15: I’ve finally completed the logging disconnects to the point where they can be used. I haven’t yet put the brake gear on; it’s pretty fiddly work. Other than that, I’m pretty happy with the way they turned out.
August 20: Once again it’s been a while since I worked on the Lost Hollow; it’s just been too hot here over the last couple of months. However, after our weekly cutting of the lawn, Robin helped me weed the town end of the layout. The forest end has fared much better in terms of weeds. Hopefully, we’ll get a chance to run everything in September. I’m also looking at some more buildings.